Music has a special way of expressing emotions and experiences. Music speaks to each one of us in very different and deeply personal ways. Every music student is a unique individual with a variety of goals, musical tastes, experiences, abilities and learning styles. I strive to bring out the innate musicality in every one of my students by customizing the lessons I provide to each individual student.
Music and Educational Background
- I began piano lessons at age 5, and progressed through the Royal Conservatory of Music certificate program.
- Certified elementary piano teacher specialist through the Royal Conservatory of Music.
- I have received training in leading group piano lessons, as well as music classes for children ages 2 and up
- Over 10 years of formal voice training in classical, musical theatre, contemporary and jazz styles, as well as individual training in voice instruction.
- Winner of the CanWest Global Jazz Scholarship (vocal jazz)
- Working toward completion of The Ultimate Music Theory teacher certification course
- Regular participation in music teaching seminars and courses
- Continued self-directed study in the fields of vocal anatomy, physiology and vocal health
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Gerontology
- Diploma in Aircraft Structural Repair
- Commercial Pilot License with a Multi-engine Instrument and Class 3 Flight Instructor Rating
- Working towards a certificate in Recreation Therapy for Older Adults.
- I have a clear criminal background check (including child abuse registry and vulnerable sector).
I began teaching private piano and voice lessons in September 2014. However, most of my working background involves aviation. When I worked as an aircraft maintenance engineer, I taught airframes, engines and systems to Royal Canadian Air Cadets. I am still involved in the cadet program where I work as the administration officer and instructor on various aviation subjects. As a flight instructor, I have trained a large number of students who have earned their pilots license. In fact, several of my former students are now airline pilots! I continue to teach private and commercial pilot ground schools for a local flight school.
What I offer
By applying classical music technique found in the Royal Conservatory of Music certificate program, I will give my students a solid musical foundation. My students can expect quality piano and voice lessons that include music theory, ear training, technique, musicality and much more, in a fun, relaxing atmosphere. Once a solid foundation has been achieved, students are free to explore and learn many different musical styles. My students have been, and are continuing to learn classical music, jazz, blues, contemporary, country, worship music etc.
My students also have the opportunity to showcase their work by performing in the two recitals I offer during the year. I am a strong believer in the benefits of performance. Sharing one’s musical journey with family, friends and fellow students is a wonderful experience in an incredibly supportive atmosphere. It is a beautiful gift to share and will build confidence. In order to create a positive experience, I often play duets with my beginner piano students, as well as sing with, and accompany my vocal students. My students’ comfort during a performance is my top priority at my recitals.
I enjoy working with all ages and offer both individual and group lessons. I also run an introductory music program for parents and their toddlers which is always so much fun! During this class, the basics of music theory are taught in a child-friendly manner using songs, movement, instrument ensemble activities and games. I’m always working on developing new and exciting programs, as well as improving my existing ones.
The relationship between the student, their parent, and their teacher is essential to achieve success in music lessons. I think that those who know me both personally and professionally would describe me as approachable, fun-loving and easy going.
I am very passionate about teaching music, and I work very hard to deliver quality lessons that are educational and fun! To me, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing my students achieve their goals, and knowing that I was fortunate enough to be a part of it. I look forward to beginning your musical journey with you!